Tuesday, November 20, 2007

An Upgrade for my ole junk!

Tuesday 20th November.

Yup, my ole junk needs to be cared for & improved from time2time. As it is, it has to serve me well till me can only be a passenger...

So this time around, it was the Brakes Dept that got my attention. Yup, me finally found a patient & friendly mechanic at a nearby auto service centre.

So armed with just a new can of Bosch Dot 4 brake fluid (RM15), me sent my ole junk over and the replacement process began.

Old fluid was removed followed by the old front hoses. New Pro-RS stainless steel braided hoses were put in. However, a minor problem surfaced. It was found that the holes in the retaining brackets were a mite too small and had to be ground slightly to enlarge them b4 the ends of the new hoses could go in. Then the rear hoses came off and were accordingly replaced with new Pro-RS ones. No problems here as the fitment was just nice.

Finally new brake fluid was poured into the brake master cylinder reservoir & the bleeding process carried out via suction equipment...rarely found around these parts!

Then a check around for leaks. Passed. This was followed by a road test. And the ole junk came back with very good comments by the mechanic!

What can I say...$$ well-spent and my journey home was great. Tested the brakes and they really bite! A great difference!

Now the only question left is " how long will these hoses last...? " My originals are already 15 years old and still good when taken off the car just now! Except for the spongy feel, of course...hehe...

Here are some pics to share :












Pics : (left) Front Left hoses (Right) Front Right hoses.

Pics : (Above) Rear Left hose (Below) Rear Right hose.

Sorry but have to end with a not so good note...while the car was up on the hydraulic hoist, me found that the right rear shock absorber has a "wet" look. The other side was dry. Only probably cause is a leaking absorber...a replacement is needed...soon! A decision has to be made...soon, too!

No comments: