Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A good lesson...?

There is an old saying...that goes something like this : " We Live, We Learn... "

And I am still learning...esp so in this Hi-Tech world, the so-called Cyberworld. Everything has become so much easier. Convenience at one's fingertips. Information, Banking, Job Applications, Income Tax returns, etc., etc.

One area me started dabbling in recently is making purchases in the Net. Bidding in auctions. Esp in 1 popular local auction website.

After making a number of successful bids and concluding satisfactory transactions, I've found such a means a good way to get certain items we need in the convenience of our home. Minus the hassle of hunting around in Malls & the like. Sellers that I've dealt with had been well-organised, efficient & responsive. Transactions had been successfully concluded happily, resulting in me gaining confidence & trust in that auction site.

However, my latest transaction is cause for worry. Rber the Pioneer speakers that me wrote about a few posts ago? Well, they are NOT here yet! A long story now...getting longer, it seems.

A chronological case history below :

10/31/2007 11:50:00 PM : Place bid for item.
11/1/2007 5:15:00 AM : Bid closed. Me won bid.
11/1/2007 8:15:29 AM : Payment made to Seller via direct fund transfer.
11/1/2007 04:41 PM : Seller acknowledges via sms that Email & Payment received. Also sms states "you will receive the item within this 2 days time."
11/3/2007 02:44 PM : Seller gave tracking no. as 201255412632 when me sent sms after courier company informed me of the need for tracking no. to trace if item has been despatched.
However, it was confirmed that such a number was not registered in their system.
11/4/2007 07:37 PM : Still no sign of item. Seller's reply to my sms query : "They do not work on Sunday. I will inform you of the status tomorrow. Sorry for the delay. "
11/5/2007 10:31 PM : After sending 2 smses asking abt item status, Seller sent this sms reply : " Sorry for the delay. We will clarify the matter with our courier agent tomorrow and inform you soon. "

Today is 11/6/2007... the tomorrow of yesterday is here today!

Well, if you were in my situation, what would you do? Me? I had good past dealings with other sellers trading in that auction site. So, I would prefer to keep all my options open and give this seller the benefit of the doubt for now. His profile in the auction site had a 100% rating ie (594: 121+,100%). Now me am wondering...is that for real? Let's see what he has to say next...hopefully a happy ending to all this uncertainty.

Somehow me feel that for the small sum involved, this kind of complications should never arise. Like me told a fmly mber who inquired abt the outcome of this purchase... " If this seller is so desperate for $$, we help him... "

If this transaction turns sour, me will be very, very wary of making future purchases in the Net, esp more so in this particular auction site!!

Wish me luck...

An update...#1 :

Appears that construction work is abt to start at the site just opposite my house. Land was filled some time back. Starting yesterday, lorryloads of earth were brought in to further fill up areas. An excavator was working the whole of yesterday to clear areas overgrown with grass & shrubs. And today, a team of surveyors are around...with lorryloads of construction timber! Guess the start of the next phase of development is beginning...

Above pic just taken this morning. Am hoping that whatever "disturbances" & inconveniences that come with a housing development phase in progress would be within tolerable limits...being a long on-going process.

Wish me luck here, too!

An Update...#2 :

Rber my back-up plan abt those speakers? My bidding for a second set? Kicker ones? Won bid on 3 Nov.

Ok...if you do, looks like things have started moving...finally. After my payment (4th Nov) & email to seller (Nov 5) requesting for info abt its despatch info...esp after the problems with the Pioneer seller.

Yup, me just got an email response @ 10:24am today (6th Nov.) stating : " Item will be collected and posted today. You will receive it latest in 2 days time. Thanks again for your humble support. " Now let's see if this seller's words hold water...then maybe, just maybe, my former confidence in online purchases would be reinstated to a certain degree. Like the saying goes... "Once bitten, twice shy... "

Will keep you informed. Wish me luck here...again...too!!

ps. Frankly, on hindsight, if me had known attempts to get a pair of speakers thru the auction site would end up being such a hassle, me would have opted to get a set instantly & directly from local accessory shops. I would have a good pick of branded ones for the total sum (RM323) now involved! However, like my other half commented... "No way you could know... " And, she's right, you know...

pps. Honestly, this speaker do thing started out on a very noble note. With many parties benefiting from it. Cos me believed in " Happiness shared is Happiness multiplied ". Only me & the One upstairs know... Like another saying goes : "What is not to be, will never be... "

No comments: