Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A Need...Not a Want...

Life, to me now, is so full of sometimes simple or even petty decisions to be made. Decision-making, in the past, had been such a simple matter as just a "to buy or not to buy" issue. But these days, it's just isn't that simple anymore...

What am I talking about?
My carriage...my ole junk, really...has always been top priority whenever it needs the care & love I can give it. My philosophy has been... "Take good care of your car and it will take good care of you!" So all this while, my ole trusty ole junk never failed to get the best me can afford. And it has taken good care of me & my family, too, in all sincerity.

However, on most occasions these days, the best me can afford is not, & cannot be, the best me would like to do for my trusty "steed". Frankly, that's what it means to be a realtime 100% pensioner. You are only half the person you were. Get it?

So when it was found that one of my car's rear shock absorbers has a minor seepage of oil, an internal civil war raged within me! Should I change both the rear shocks now? ( Shock absorbers need to be changed in pairs!) Or should I wait for it to truly leak? Like many ppl do?

If I change, which make should I change to? The same as before...Monroe Sensatrac? Or a cheaper local make eg Kayaba? My Monroes lasted me 7 years...abt 90,000 km oledi.

Finally it all came down to cost...has the price gone up? My precious half so supportively said that if it is still affordable, then get the same ones. That did it! The price was surprisingly abt the same as it was 7 years ago! Now only at RM63 each. The 2 pcs of shocks were delivered within 15 mins while me waited at the auto spare sparts shop.

The same ole impatient person I still am....the old shocks were removed & the new ones installed by our new friendly mechanic who did my brake hoses replacement the other day. Again my very supportive half felt it's better to spend a bit more & let someone else do the job rather than me slog & toil over it...me being not so young now.

The replacement made another great difference to our ride. Firmer back now. Felt instantly on leaving the workshop!

A Pic of the 2 cartons of the Monroe Sensatrac shock absorbers to share :The moral of today's story?
Financial Stability plays a very major role in our lives in this world of ours today! Believe me...a very important role at that!

ps. Under consideration next are replacements for the front struts...they are just as old as the rears which were just replaced. However no leaks detected at this point in time. So got time to stock up the "piggy"...hehe....

2 comments:

Edrea Tai Song Yi said...

Uncle Lip, Good choice made. It is much better than KYB or APM. Can I know where u get it and for how much? What about the front price?

middlelip said...

Hi...
Price of the rear shocks were at RM63 each(as mentioned in the entry).

Where? I got them from Antara, Seberang Jln Putra but feel most spare parts shops should be able to order them for you if they do not have available stock.

The front ones are more expensive. My last pair cost RM300-340, if not wrong.

And yup, they are really good & reliable!