Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea...

Wed 270509

For something to pen...and, of course, to grouse...maybe?

Yup, it's what's happening to me now...and... I feel, to many others like me, too. See if you agree with me after you have reached the end of this post.

And yup, it's about MONEY! Yup...$$$$$!! The "dirtiest" (figuratively & also literally) but also the most "potent" of all articles in this material world!

All my life (ie until my retirement), I never thought about nor bothered to prepare for my retirement nor my old age. Frankly, I would not have even my present house to call my very own if it had not been for a concerned & outspoken elder... an aunt on my wife's side. But that's another story...

To me, with all my misfortunes ( a long list...), I was happy to be able to survive, provide the necessities & care for my family. And from time to time, to throw in even a few luxuries when times were better.

There were no articles in newspapers nor magazine that I could read as to how one should prepare for one's retirement & old age...esp the financial aspect. And so, at that point in time, I was living in pure "ignorant bliss"!

And yup, in those younger carefree days when working, I only think of living from day to day. Having enough to go on with a satisfactory life was good enough. Most importantly at that time, being able to provide for the needs of my growing kids & their future was at the top of my list! Nothing else mattered. My own future needs never came to mind at all!

To tell the truth, I continued to be in such "ignorant bliss" even after my retirement...with positive thoughts about every aspect of my life then & in the future. It was only after incidents that took place after my retirement that truly opened my eyes to what Life truly is when one is, sad to say, "no longer needed". We truly Thank God that I ( and my other half) still had our "Kay Pa"...we being Civil/Govt Servants & pensionable. Or else I dread to think of how or what we would be today...

In that aspect, I've been a witness to a number of parents who were so neglected & disrespected by their own "grown-up" children, just because they could not support themselves esp financially...each one finding any lame excuse to pass the buck. Tai Chi of the 1st degree. A pitiful sight & situation that one can never ever get used to...nor understand...

Now back to my story...

Once my eyes were opened wide, I could see my true present situation. Not nice but that's what it is and will be...and we have to accept it & adapt to it in the best possible way. Or be prepared to suffer till that very last day...no one's gonna shed any tears cos ppl would only say, "He's such a dumbo...living in his own fantasy world...does he not know the REAL world!"

Well, we have Two options in this issue. What are they?

One is to continue to live in "ignorant bliss" and hope & pray that the future works out fine. That's the so-called "Devil"!

Two is to take action and be prepared for the future ahead, come what may! That's the "Deep Blue Sea"...as deep as it can go.

The former is the ultimate High Risk path to take. Like what I told my other half ie when the time comes & she needs my help, I don't think I can just stand by & watch her suffer...unable to do anything to help. Powerless...cos $$$less!

The second option is the only logical road to travel. A long long & difficult road in preparation considering the low income we now have per month (only our pensions) and to save enough to tide us over in time of need, is not going to be an easy task. Maybe not even to the level of need, considering the time we have left...whatever that is.

Well, once again, Thank God that our Kay Pa had been thoughtful of our needs and our pensions had been increased a couple of times. With those revisions, we had made it an urgent "need" to put aside a small sum towards our future needs. Like the saying goes...
"a little a day goes a long way"
or the Malay proverb...
"Sedikit sedikit lama-lama jadi bukit..."
Although that's a slow & long winding road to slowly but steadily build up our financial capability & stability, with God's blessings, we will get there in due time...hopefully there is enough time. At least we can say that we tried...a bit late but like they say,
"better late than never!"
And, as a rough idea of how much one needs at the time of one's retirement so as to be capable of continuing to live with the same lifestyle as when one was still working, an advisory report in the local papers had once stated a minimal sum of about Rm750,000 for someone earning RM2k - 3k per month!!

Do you have that sum now? Would you have that sum when you do retire? I did not. And I still do not. Not even close to it. In fact, far far far from it! Even if I didn't spend a sen of all my wages throughout my working life, I still would NOT have that sum when I retired...

So, if you are still not prepared for your own retirement days, do start now! And only then would you be most happy & very thankful when that day comes...don't live to regret not doing so when you should have, ok? Time flies...

All the very best!! Like the Scout's motto...Be Prepared!

No comments: