Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Introducing...Robotan!

Tue 280409

Yup, a new chapter in my life has just begun...hehe....Robotan is here! Ha ha!

Yup, since my cervical problem was confirmed, via X-rays a few months back, as "Ankylosing Spondylitis", the ortho surgeon had said that there is no cure for such a condition...which is kinda hereditary. And yup, it is usually passed onto the males of the next generation. Surgery is not recommended due to the very high risks of nerve damage. The surgeon recommended a number of steps to take in support of & in the relief aspect of the treatment of the condition.

1. Use of suitable medication to ease the pain while controlling the infection at source. As I had a history of gastritis, there are very few types of medication which would not result in or aggravate that possibility. Arcoxia 90mg, a tab daily, was thus recommended. The cheapest price that I've managed to get for a strip of 10 tabs was RM36 with RM38 being a more average cost.

2. Wearing a neck brace / collar. To help to relieve the strain on the neck muscles & preferably to be worn as much as possible, taking it off maybe when going out...hehe...to prevent unwanted "stares"?

Well, me enquired re this aid at our local pharmacy and was intro to 2 simple ones, namely a soft padded model and a hard plastic one. However, I was also informed that while the soft one would be more comfortable but one would be literally hot "under the collar" in about an hour & so prolonged wearing of it would not be comfortable. So me ended up buying the "Adjustable Hard Cervical Collar" @ RM46.

Now, how do I look with the collar on?

Ha ha! Robotic neck?

Frankly it does help to support the head & thus the neck muscles are assisted, resulting in less strain on the neck muscles & consequently less pain...

That said, while me was at the pharmacy, me decided to get an elbow guard to provide additional support for my elbow which underwent undue strain when I was hammering in the pipe support for our fractured orchid plants the other day.

Now, with that purchase, me just added a "robotic" elbow! Phew...(pls see pic...)

Actually this elbow guard purchase was the advice by our family doc when me related the "hammer incident" to her. She advised that the elbow should be duly supported to aid in healing...and it would take weeks...

In this case, recovery is assured. So the purchase of the elbow guard @RM12, is more of an interim investment towards full recovery.

Well, like me told my other half...Robotan is born! Ha ha!

No comments: