Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A teeny weeny upgrade...

Tue 21 Apr 2009

Yup, it's just one of those what one calls a necessary evil...? And yup, it's all about my still kinda "new" notebook PC.

You see, during my recent Googling "adventure trips", me learned that the Intel Core 2 Duo processor of my Compaq lappy supports dual channel memory processing. And in order that it would perform to its optimum levels, the memory packs installed should be in so-called identical pairs ie 2 x 1 Gig or 2 x 2 Gig...not 1 pc of 1 Gig coupled with another of 2 Gig (which is...actually was now... what I had in the lappy).

And, on consultations with a knowledgeable member of our family, it was confirmed to be true. The final nail on the head came from a staff member of a computer shop whom I asked...like I was gonna maybe make a purchase from them. That guy had exactly the same view. That did it!

It was then decided that an upgrade was truly needed and of benefit. And so it was...a trip was made to the shop from which me bought the lappy. And so it was that my lappy was more endowed when we left the shop, having a total of 4 Gig ie 2 x 2 Gig of memory on board...with me, however, RM80 poorer...!! Worth it? I feel so...

As in all gloomy scenarios, there is always a little light...yup, the other computer shop, where me had made enquiries earlier, had quoted a price tag of RM105 for the same brand & value of memory pack! That's RM25 more...which is a lot more...and so it does pay to be loyal...right?

Well, let's see how the new improved lappy performs...

No comments: