Friday, April 17, 2009

Update on new "Toilet"

Fri 170409

What can I say...ages have passed (actually only a few days but seemed like ages) since me got my new "baby", "toilet" or even a "toy" to some ppl (pretty expensive to be considered just a "toy", right?).

So how has it been?...you may ask.

Well, let me tell you it's no holiday nor plain sailing. For a start, me am new to all this notebook ("lappy" as some call it...me will call it that in this post, too) stuff. So it took quite a while to get used to finding my way around...especially using the touchpad. An external optical mouse is available but me felt it would be kinda inconvenient to be lugging it around, besides a lappy has its own built-in input device, namely the touchpad. And if we don't use it, then what's the point of getting a lappy. Agreed?

Then there's the replacement OS (Operating System). The lappy came with only Free DOS. Kinda the norm these days. But what can one do with that? So the dealer had installed a workable Windows Vista Ultimate SP1...quite a high end version of Win Vista, right? Which is good. No? In a way, both answers are correct!

Yup, good coz it's definitely so much better than the standard DOS. But, with a self-acquired version of that Win Vista version, a whole Pandora's Box was opened...

Problems, problems, problems...popping up from time to time...esp when a new software was installed. Compatibility issues? Or bugs in the non-updated OS? Dunno, really... Latest me had to stay up at night was till 2am...to overcome the problems that arose. No joke, huh? Yup, me the impatient one...as always! Sorry...

All that aside, this Compaq is a great "baby"...a genius of a new "toilet"! It's like me going where me had never been before! Phew! Mighty stimulating!

After the modifications, addition of extra programs & other misc personalisation changes that me had accomplished, this lappy is now more like "home " to me. Me can do practically all me could do with my ole desktop PC...and now wirelessly, too! Except for one thing. No printing can be done via this lappy...yet. Yup, I've yet to install a printer link to it. Soon...soon...maybe...haha! Yup, I can just copy whatever needs printing to a thumbdrive & print them via my ole desktop PC. True?

The best part of all this & the main aim of getting this lappy is that me no longer is "imprisoned" in my computer room upstairs! Merdeka! Yup, free as a bird. However, me have yet to try lappy in the toilet! Haha! Have you...ever?

No comments: