Saturday, June 6, 2009

Bits & Pieces...Past & Present

Sat 060609

Yup, it's Saturday again & time for another COD! And yup, that means "Chef's Off Day"...to new visitors to The Middle Lip.

But let's turn back the clock a bit...

There was this one item that me bought to add to my "arsenal" to support my not-so-new now "baby", namely my lappy. You see, after my purchase of a new Samsung HDD for the lappy, I could no longer access my old files in the original Toshiba HDD that came with it. And I had quite a number of folders of useful files there.

And so it was, while I was in Taiping on 31st May, I decided to get a portable HDD holder as I'd confirmed that it was possible to use my original HDD by connecting it via a USB port. At Taiping Sentral, 2 choices were available...1 unknown (Made in China) unit cost RM25 (after a bit of bargaining...) while the other (a locally-made one), ClipTec, was at RM35 ( also after a bit of bargaining...)...Ha ha!

Which would you buy? Me? I got the ClipTec one! Philosophy? I was told that the unit came with a better, more reliable chipset although both came with a 3-month warranty. This unit came with a coloured aluminium alloy holder box, a USB cable with supplementary USB connector, a cloth bag and a USB installation disc (which, I was told, would not be needed actually except for old OSes that do not support USB 2.0!)

Here it is but without the presentation box (that it came in) & the disc...(sorry!) :

Not a bad-looking set, huh? It's not as slim as the Made in China unit but its internals are well-designed with a plastic frame, insulated HDD holder proper...even screws to attach the HDD firmly to that inner plastic frame with the chipset! And oh! A small screwdriver is even provided! Kinda thoughtful, don't you agree?


So what do you think of such a manufacturer? Considerate & thoughtful of all that might be involved in the use of its product? Yup, that's exactly how I felt when I checked out the contents of the set prior to purchase.

Well, so far it's been serving me well & fine. No complaints.

Besides that, I was kinda busy the last couple of days. For one thing, I patched up a crack in the wall of our roof terrace that had started to become an ugly sight. We could see it each time we drove into the porch. And yup, me repainted that inner wall, too! Now the roof terrace has kinda brighten up a wee bit...hehe...

The other DIY house maintenance that was carried out was to improve on the condition of the area around our kitchen sink. The plywood ledge area just before the edge of the sink had been suffering from water rot for years. The formica piece that covered that strip was practically coming off! So me did a simple patch-up using whatever leftover cement & fine sand that was in our storeroom. Now that rotted ledge is no more! In its place is one solid ledge that should last till "GOK"....sincerely hope long enough for you know what...hehe...

Now back to COD today.

Lunch was out...as always. No big deal. But at a different place. Riverland Restaurant @ Star Parade. Nothing grand. Simple fried dishes.

The Walk-Walk session that followed was fruitful though. Bought a couple of cargo pants for meself. At 70% off! A good deal. And a blouse for my other half.

Dinner appears to be Bah Kut Teh. Location? As yet unknown...

Cine Nite? Another guess for you...

UPDATE 070609 @9am :

Bah Kut Teh dinner was at the corner shop @PSK. Not bad...with extra pig's tail. RM17.20 not including drinks.

Cine Nite had to be abandoned! Not even started! We came home to a Taman in darkness! Appeared the power failure started @abt 8pm. Only 2 of my 5 emergency lamps were functioning. Need to get replacement batteries asap if this scenario is gonna be repeated.

Power came back momentarily @abt 10pm. However, it went off again @10:30pm! "Free" Sauna...
Power was restored only early this morning ... @ almost 2am!! Phew! The worst blackout in our area for years...more than 5 hrs total!! Buck up, TNB!

No comments: