Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Longest partial eclipse above Lot 10

Wed 220709

A moment in history. Yup, what happened this morning was truly a special day in this century...the longest eclipse of the Sun! The next one would be in 2132, if me heard correctly...

As forcasted, it was to be a cloudy, if not rainy day. And just before 9 am, the clouds parted and me rushed out of Lot 10, hastily unpacking a new piece of safety "welder's glass" to use as protection for my eyes. Once on the edge of the road in front of Lot 10 (where me could get a clear view of the Sun in the Eastern sky), I held the dark "welder's glass" to my eyes.

And behold! There it was...a darkened corner of the disc of the Sun...on the side which was to my left! Yup, that's the moon blocking part of the Sun. A partial eclipse. By that time it was less than the 17% - 20% predicted for our northern region. Not a bad-sized chunk clearly blocked.

A thought came to me. I quickly took out my trusty N73 and began snapping away at the eclipsed Sun, using the "welder's glass" as protection, too!

This was my best snapshot...
However, my best was not good enough...

And yup, sorry...the partial eclipse is just not visible in the pic. Too tiny a section & thus not captured by my not-so-sensitive N73. However, you can see the clouds aroung the Sun and of course, the Sun, can't you? Ha ha!

A short while later, while having breakfast, CNN on Astro was showing Live the total solar eclipse in China...in Chungqing if not wrong.

Out came my trusty N73 and this was what me captured from the TV screen...


Yup, this is a clear shot of the totality of the eclipse at that time. Certainly wished I was there then. Wouldn't you want to witness such a rare event?


Frankly I've seen many partial eclipses of the Sun. The earliest was when me was in Primary School...Std 5 if not mistaken. That day is still etched in my memory. I can still picture our class teacher preparing the darkly smoked panes of glass (using a candle) for us to use then. We watched the partial eclipse out in our school field.

However to this day, I've yet to witness one of a truly total eclipse. Have you?

Well, that was the only excitement worthwhile mentioning for today...

And yup, Lot 10 inmates also enjoyed a plate of self-prep "cucur udang" with real prawns! For tea.

Finally, me wish me could experience a total eclipse of the Sun in my lifetime...which I feel, would remain a dream...

So if you do ever have the opportunity to do so, go for it!

No comments: