Friday, November 28, 2008

Sweet Ole Me...

Fri 281108

Chocs & more chocs...nuts & more nuts...that's what me enjoyed so much while sitting in front of the "idiot box" immediately after my retirement! Life was good...no worries...no more stress @work! Doing what me wanted & felt like doing at any time. Sleep when me wanna sleep. Wake up when me wanna wake up. No schedules to follow. Pure bliss...the culmination of years & years of yu-know-what. Finally, me am my own boss...hehe...

Well, like a quotation that me had heard somewhere before...
"...in everything we do, there is always a price to pay..."
And how true it is!

Yup, not long after my retirement & esp after all the indulgence in chocs & nuts, me felt kinda tired & drowsy more & more often. Attributed it to my not having something definite to do daily. Then one day, a voice in me told me that I should not just explain away what I'm feeling...cos it might be something more than what I think or feel...

Took a blood test...and that really stopped me in my tracks! 14+ was my blood sugar level! That most feared bell then started sounding...if me not do anything about myself, me was gonna go downhill all the way! That was kinda scary... me was classified as a "pre-type 2 diabetic"!

Well, that was history today...cos me took positive steps following my Doc's advice eg exercising regularly & controlling my food intake & diet. That was years ago...about 7 years, to be exact...haha! Me was like anyone else...except for the exercise routine & diet control.

However, last month it was noticed that my fasting blood sugar level just refused to go down. It remained way past the normal range. Moreover, the level for 2 hours after meals climbed to within the acceptable range of diabetics! Upon doing some investigation, it was found that most pre-type 2 diabetics move into true type 2 diabetes after 5 years...at the most! Me already way past that time limit!!

Upon consultation, my Doc told me that we couldn't just let the situation continue as it was. It would have harmful & irreversible effects on my vision (eyes), kidneys & even the heart in the long term. Factually, it was gonna be like immersing all my body organs & parts into a sugar solution!! We had to keep the level within the normal range with medication now.

And so it was. I started taking 1 tablet of Glucophage 500mg after breakfast. This medication was recommended cos it was time-tested to be effective & known to be "harmless", besides being of low cost. That brought down the sugar level for meals...after an hour & even after 2 hours. That certainly was a good sign.

In spite of that, my fasting level still remained past the normal range...showing that the effects of the medication had worn off by evening. A week later, a second dose was advised to be taken after dinner. Did so for 2 weeks. Tests later showed a remarkable improvement! Now my blood sugar level after fasting averages only 5.7. That is within the normal range. Phew...

Now what does all that mean? Yup, without a doubt me am now a confirmed Type 2 diabetic person. No denial is gonna help here. Accept my body for what it has become. Ageing process lo...remember the same 10/90 Philosophy? Being what I am now is beyong my control but how me react would make a lot of difference to my life from here onwards. Agreed?

Yup, I cannot change what has happened to my body but I can control the course it will take from now. That way I can have a better quality of life! Uncontrolled diabetes can result in many serious complications. Lots of suffering. Not need to go into details here. One just needs to Google for them, right?

Now me just need to pop in a tab after breakfast & one more after dinner...then me can enjoy my life as any other guy next to me! Yup, life is short...let's not make it any shorter...

And yup, TGIF, too! Another weekend is here again...and you know the rest ie if you are a regular visitor to Middle Lip...

No comments: