Thursday, October 11, 2007

Desperate ppl...

The words "Never say it'd never happen to me... " have been ringing in my ears since yesterday (101007) afternoon...

I have noticed missing metal drain covers...along roads, outside houses. Even read abt them in news items in local papers. Never knew it'd happen right in front of me...in my own home!!

Yup. It happened. My own drain cover. Just outside my dwelling's outer gate, covering the main external drain in the driveway. Stolen!! In broad daylight!

Pic above shows the hole left by the missing drain cover. Now temporarily covered by a pc of plywood that me sawed to fit the hole. Safety first. Don't want anyone to accidently step into the gaping hole and be hurt.

Back to the issue at hand. Feel all this is being encouraged by scrap metal dealers/buyers. Feel also that those dealers also know that anyone who brings in such items to sell, most probably had stolen them! And yet they buy from them! Is $$$ really everything these days? No ethics? No self-respect? Not even a care abt the consequences? Feel if there is no buyer, there'll be no seller. Probably also a case of "Demand & Supply "? Last but not least, poor enforcement? And consequently NO such thefts...

Whatever & however this country is turning into, as an ordinary citizen, me have not many choices open. Best is NOT to use any easily removable items that might be attractive to such thieves. So me have decided to "plug up" that hole with concrete/cement! One less target...

So, all you ppl out there....If you do have such metal drain covers or similar, do bolt them down for security. Minimum. At least a deterent. Best action, however, would be NOT to keep them. Do like what me planned to do...plug up that "useless" hole!!

No comments: