Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Another Home Improvement episode

Hi...

With previous increases in electrical tariffs in mind, this ole man's thoughts could do no less but wander to any possibility of some savings in the near future. Guess what? Me spent some time at a booth in a neighbouring Giant Hypermarket...listening attentively to how a simple device could cut down unnecessary loss of energy and thus cause one's hard-earned & valuable $$ to go to waste.

Cost? RM199. And it was the last day of offer there!

Without losing heart, me proceeded into the electrical section of Giant itself. There a similar device seemed to call to me. By Nesly. Model EN 2009. Tag price? Only RM59.99!! I vaguely remember seeing something similar going for RM80 or so at another Super...

Without a second thought, me grabbed one!

To be frank, I had bidded for a similar item a couple of days earlier at an online auction site. A Made in China product. Got it for only RM33 plus RM7 despatch & handling charges. Was awaiting delivery when me went to Giant SP.

Now that me got this Nesly unit directly, me could immediately plug it in and enjoy its benefits!

So here it is...


The Nesly EN 2009 plugged into a wall socket in our Hall.






The next day the Made in China unit arrived. A larger bodied device. 2 LEDs. Since there are more power-drawing appliances upstairs eg air-con units, I decided it should not hurt to plug it as a supplemental unit up there.
So the unit went into an empty power socket in our Master Bedroom.

Result? As up till today, the average consumption as read from our meter has been abt 15 units ( or kWh ) per day. That would be a forecast saving at the end of the month of abt 40 units. Roughly abt Rm10 savings.

If that improvement continues as predicted, I would have recovered the cost of BOTH units in abt 10 mths. Then it would be 100% savings all the way...expected lifespan of the device is 5 years of continuous usage.

Besides the saving in $$ terms, I have found problems of our TVs eg unsteady/shrinking top picture display on one TV as well as a darkening effect on another, have both amazingly "vanished"!! A miracle of sorts? To me, that's $$ saved, too!

Moreover my room air-con unit compressor now operates much more silently. Difference was noticeable enough. And all flourescent lamps are now brighter...

Too hard to believe? Not so for me. I'm right where it is all happening...hehe...

To me, a good investment. An affordable one, too! Bye...

No comments: